Are you struggling with dry skin? Have you tried everything including shea butter to no avail?
Your skincare products could be the problem. Many body lotions in the market contain harmful ingredients like retinoids, benzoyl peroxide, alcohol, and salicylic acid, which may cause skin peeling, itching, irritation, and redness.
This calls for healthier alternatives for your skin, such as organic hemp body butter.
But what exactly is hemp body butter? How do you use it? And where can you buy it? Here is everything to know about hemp shea butter.
What is Hemp Body Butter?
Hemp body butter is a skincare product made with hemp oil or hemp seed oil, which is derived from the hemp plant’s seeds. Hemp body butter is a rich moisturizing cream often used to hydrate and soothe dry or irritated skin.
Hemp seed oil is known for its high concentration of fatty acids and antioxidants, which can help to nourish and protect the skin. These properties make hemp body butter a popular choice for people with dry or sensitive skin and those looking for a natural and plant-based skincare product.
In addition to hemp seed oil, hemp body butter may contain natural ingredients such as shea butter, cocoa butter, or essential oils to nourish and hydrate the skin. Hemp body butter is typically thicker and more concentrated than other moisturizers. It is often used on areas of the body that need extra hydration, such as the hands, feet, elbows, and knees.
It can also help treat various skin conditions, including eczema and dermatitis.
Main Ingredients for Hemp Body Butter
Organic hemp butter is made from the following ingredients:
- Hemp oil: This is extracted from hemp seeds. It is suitable for all skin types since it can moisturize without clogging the pores. This balances out oily skin, hydrate it, and regulate the skin’s oil production.
- Cocoa butter: This natural butter is derived from the cocoa plant. It melts into the skin at body temperature, leaving it velvety.
- Shea butter: This is rich in nutrients that keep your skin soft, replenish moisture, and promote healthy skin. It is paraben-free and great for all skin types.
- Vitamin E oil: This is a protective vitamin well known for moisturizing and protecting the skin.
Hemp Body Butter Recipe: How to Make Hemp Body Butter
If you want to make a hemp oil body butter recipe at home, here is how to do it:
- 25g hemp seed oil
- 25g cocoa butter
- 50g shea butter
- 5 drops vitamin E oil
- Step 1: Place cocoa butter in a boiler to melt (cocoa butter has a high melting point and should be melted before mixing with other ingredients).
- Step 2: Add hemp seed oil and shea butter to the melted cocoa butter and heat lightly to ensure everything mixes well.
- Step 3: Place the now viscous liquid in the refrigerator to solidify.
- Step 4: Remove your concoction from the refrigerator and add drops of vitamin E.
- Step 5: Use a hand mixer or stand mixer to whip the content thoroughly. This process should take at least 10 minutes.
- Step 6: Transfer the mixture carefully into a lotion bottle.
You now have an organic hemp body butter. Don’t forget to label your container and store it in a cool, dry place for improved shelf life.
Hemp Body Butter Shelf Life
The shelf life depends on the freshness of your ingredients.
On average, the shelf life of hemp seed oil is two years while that of cocoa and shea butter is around one year. If you use fresh ingredients, your hemp body cream can last for one year with proper storage.
What are the Benefits of Hemp Body Butter to Your Skin?
Hemp butter is a natural moisturizer that can provide various benefits for the skin. Here are some ways in which hemp body butter can benefit your skin:
1. Minimizes Oiliness and Dryness
Dryness can make the skin overproduce its natural oil, which can stimulate acne. Hemp body butter balances your skin oil while moisturizing it. This reduces the risk of skin infections and inflammation linked to acne.
Unlike other skincare products, hemp body butter does not clog your pores. Clogged pores cause sweat and dirt build-up, making your skin susceptible to reddening and swelling.
2. Treats Atopic Dermatitis
The hemp seed oil in hemp butter contains omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids, which have been proven to aid in the treatment of skin conditions such as atopic dermatitis. A study showed that dietary hemp seed oil treats atopic dermatitis symptoms in just 20 weeks.
3. Ideal for All Skin Types
People have different skin types ranging from oily to dry. Many individuals also have a combination of oily and dry skin in various parts of their bodies. This makes it extremely difficult to get a body lotion that is 100% friendly to your skin.
Luckily, the hemp body butter serves as a skin serum suitable for all skin types, including damaged and sensitive skin.
4. Reduced Aging Skin
Besides soothing and moisturizing the skin, hemp oil contains anti-aging properties. So, hemp body butter can reduce or eliminate fine wrinkles and lines on your face and other parts of the body.
It also contains oleic acids and linoleic acids, both of which penetrate underlying skin layers to replenish lost moisture that comes with aging.
5. Increased Skin Oxygenation
The vitamin E in the hemp body butter increases red blood cell production and enhances oxygen, nutrients, and water transportation to various body parts. It also promotes blood vessel dilation to improve blood circulation.
6. Soothes and Moisturizes Inflammation
Thanks to hemp seed oil, hemp body butter contains gamma-linolenic acid, which acts as a potent anti-inflammatory and encourages new cell development and skin growth. This reduces inflammation and skin irritation, such as psoriasis and acne, while keeping the skin nourished.
7. Improves Skin Tone
Hemp body butter contains amino acids that can help to improve the skin’s texture and tone. It can help to reduce the appearance of dark spots and hyperpigmentation, giving the skin a more even complexion.
How to Use Hemp Body Butter
Place some hemp oil body butter on your hand and gently rub it on your skin. For best results, focus on the areas with cracks, dry patches, or acne.
Leave the oil on for a few minutes before washing it away.
It’s important to try a patch test first to ensure you are not allergic to any of the ingredients.
Hemp Body Butter vs. Regular Body Butter: How Do They Compare?
Organic hemp cream is free of all toxins found in over-the-counter products. The body butter is non-GMO, vegan, and paraben-free.
On the other hand, regular body butter contains a range of different chemicals that mimic the functions of the natural ingredients of hemp body butter. Some of these chemicals may have serious side effects on your body.
Here are some frequently asked questions about hemp body butter:
1. Is hemp body butter legal? Hemp body butter is legal in most countries, as it does not contain the psychoactive compound THC. However, checking the laws in your specific country or state is essential.
2. Can hemp body butter get you high? No, hemp body butter does not contain THC, the psychoactive compound found in marijuana that can cause a high. Hemp seed oil used in body butter contains only trace amounts of THC and is insufficient to cause any psychoactive effects.
3. Can hemp body cream cause an allergic reaction? While hemp body butter is generally considered safe for most people, some may be allergic to hemp or other ingredients. Doing a patch test before using it all over your body is essential to check for adverse reactions.
4. How should I store hemp body butter? Hemp body butter should be stored in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. It should be used within a few months of opening to ensure freshness and efficacy.
5. Is hemp body butter eco-friendly? Hemp is a sustainable and eco-friendly crop, requiring less water and pesticides than many other crops. Many companies that produce hemp body butter also use eco-friendly packaging and production practices.
Where to Buy Hemp Body Butter
Suppose you can’t make hemp body cream with the abovementioned recipe. This eco-friendly skincare product can be found in many shopping outlets – local beauty stores, pharmacies, and hemp dispensaries. Many brands also sell online and deliver throughout the country. Just search for hemp body lotion or hemp body butter.
Hemp body butter is a luxurious and nourishing skincare product well-suited for those with dry or sensitive skin or those looking for a natural and plant-based alternative to traditional moisturizers.
Want to learn more about the capabilities of the hemp plant? Sign up to our blog now.